I apologize that I didn’t get this up sooner. I told you in my last post that I had it all ready to go, but what I should have said was that I had the pictures all ready to go. That’s most of it, right? :) Obviously, the post was another thing…..
Any hoo, so here it is. I went kind of overboard this time, so it may be a little too involved for some of you, but I’ll tell you about it anyway, in case you want to give it a go.
First, I must tell you that I found a watercolor painting online last year that I loved, and it seemed like the perfect idea for an August calendar. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to locate the image again this year. The only thing I can tell you is that it came from somewhere on this website: Watercolors by Bertie Brown. If you find the original image, please let me know so I can link back to it and you’ll see how pretty it is, because my calendar doesn’t even come close. Bertie Brown is one talented artist!
So let’s get started. I printed my calendar background onto card stock, as always. This time I included a blue planter and some flower centers for placement.
I created a cutting file for petals, and cut several out of some textured cardstock I found on clearance at Michael’s. It’s called Recollections Signature Textured Cardstock, in case you’re interested, but I think it’s Michael’s own product line. You may be able to find something similar at another craft store.
I folded each petal in half lengthwise to give it some dimension.
I also created a cutting file for the leaves, and cut some out of the same cardstock, this time in green. I used dashed lines inside each leaf so I cold fold them too.
Using glue, I placed the petals around the edge of each center, in a single layer.
And went over each one again with a second layer of petals, in between the first layer.
After the glue was dry, I added more glue to the middle of the flowers to build up the center, like a real sunflower.
Before the glue was completely dry, I went ahead and added the leaves in too. You can see how I also added a few more petals behind the 4 flowers in the front, to make it look like more flowers were in the back.
Next I added a little more glue to the flower centers, and sprinkled some tiny beads on top. These are from Martha Stewart’s Microbead set, and this color is called copper.
The color wasn’t quite as dark as I wanted it to be, so I went back over the top with some acrylic paint after it was dry.
And that’s pretty much it! You can download the August background file here, and in case you want to make it for September instead (because let’s face it…I am a little late on this one!) you can download that here. The Studio cutting file for the petals and leaves is here, but you can also download it as an SVG here, or a PDF here. And I think that about covers it.
If you haven’t stopped by my previous post and told me which paper lantern you’d like, be sure to do so before tomorrow night at midnight (CST). I can’t wait to see who wins!
I’ll be back on Thursday to announce the winner, but other than that, I’m going to be scarce for a little while. Since we got back from vacation, I’ve gotten really behind and have some serious catching up to do. Also, our oldest daughter is home for a short time before she goes back to school, and I’ll be catching up with her too. Many of you may have also noticed that I haven’t been by your blogs for a little while or been very good at answering emails, so I’m going to try to get caught up on that too. Whew! Lots to do!
Lastly, I wanted to leave you with a picture from my garden this year. Pink cone flowers + Black Eyed Susans = Love. Speaking of pink cone flowers, I think they would be really pretty in this month’s calendar too, so you could always make it with pink petals instead of yellow.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your sweet comments and well wishes on my 1st blogiversary. I’m on cloud nine! And as always, thanks for stopping by.